World Refugee day 2007
Other Current Projects
Gender Analysis of Organic Cacao
Belize & Guatemala Peace & Equity
Poverty Reduction & Gender Equity
Project funded by
Refugees and Displaced Persons
- All refugees and displaced persons seeking asylum in Belize have access to protection and support through national policy and practice that is consistent with UN standards.
- Belizeans develop a positive view of rights in general and the rights of refugees and displaced persons in particular.
- A mechanism for refugee status determination (RSD) is effectively implemented. (3 years)
- Due process is available to all those who present themselves for refugee status/asylum (as per the 1991Refugee Act).
- Victims of human trafficking (especially minors and women), gang violence and domestic violence receive the same protection as refugees.
- Individuals who present themselves for asylum are reported to Help for Progress for support and assistance (before deportation or other actions).
- A system is in place at entry points to identify and process claimants.
- Workers and residents at all points of entry are sensitized to the needs and rights of refugees and displaced persons.
- A group of lawyers are willing to represent claimants for free or minimal cost.
- At least two community groups are part of ARM (Association for the Rights of the Migrant)